In every interaction with parents, one of your goals is to strengthen your partnership with them. You’re more likely to achieve this goal if you consistently speak to parents in a clear and considerate way.
- Find and share the positives about a child’s learning, behaviour and experiences.
- Be open and honest. Give parents accurate information on what you observe.
- Think before you speak, especially when you’re talking with parents about difficult or sensitive issues.
- Ask for parents input.
- Let parents make informed decisions. You can suggest ideas, but it’s up to parents to decide what to do next.
- If you’re not sure about what to say next or how to say it, you don’t have to respond straight away.